9 min read
The guide to dermalogica cleansers: how to choose the right one for your skin
Understanding Your Skin Type
The first step in choosing the right cleanser is understanding your skin type. To determine your skin type, consider factors such as dryness and dehydration, oil production, sun exposure and environmental pollutants.
Oily skin produces excess oil and clogs pores which leads to adult acne, while dry skin may feel tight and dehydrated. Sensitive skin is easily irritated and may be prone to sensitivity and redness. Lackluster skin can cause your skin tone to look dull and uneven.
By understanding your skin type, you can choose a cleanser that addresses your skin concerns and fits into your skincare routine. Luckily, we offer cleansers for all skin types.
The dermalogica double cleanse
Double cleansing is a two-step cleansing routine that involves starting with an oil-based cleanser to remove makeup, sunscreen, and other oil-based impurities, followed-up with a water-based cleanser to remove any remaining dirt and impurities. The benefits of our double cleansing method include:
More effective gentle cleansing: Double cleansing helps to remove all traces of dirt, oil, and make up from your skin, leaving it clean and refreshed.
Better absorption of skincare products: When your skin is thoroughly cleansed, it allows your skin care products to penetrate deeper into your skin for deep cleansing, increasing their effectiveness.
Reduced risk of breakouts: Double cleansing helps to unclog your pores and prevent the buildup of dirt and oil, reducing the risk of acne prone skin.
Brighter, more radiant complexion: By removing all traces of make-up and impurities, double cleansing can help to give you a brighter, healthy skin.
Dermalogica has two oil-based cleansers to choose from based on your skin type and preference:
PreCleanse: Our award-winning oil-based cleanser is perfect for those who wear heavy makeup or SPF. It melts away layers of excess sebum (oil), sunscreen, makeup, and environmental pollutants, leaving the skin feeling thoroughly clean.
- Removes oils without clogging pores
- Conditioning essential fatty acids nourish skin
- Enables your prescribed Dermalogica Cleanser to work more efficiently
- Best for all skin types
Micellar Prebiotic Precleanse: This milky micellar formula with oat milk lifts away dirt, oil, and make-up while helping balance skins’ microbiome with probiotics.
- Attracts + dissolves make-up and impurities with gentle micelles
- Replenishes with microbiome-balancing prebiotics
- Prepares skin for the second step of cleansing
- Ideal for dry/dull skin
Choosing the right cleanser for your skin type:
Best for All skin types
Special Cleansing Gel: Soap-free foaming gel cleanser that is ideal for all skin types, including oily and combination. It gently removes impurities without stripping the skin of its natural moisture, leaving skin feeling smooth and clean.
- Washes away impurities without stripping or drying
- Calming agents help soothe and purify skin
- Thoroughly removes impurities, without disturbing the skin’s natural moisture balance
Best for sensitive skin
UltraCalming Cleanser: Gentle cleanser specially formulated for sensitive skin. Our cleanser soothes the skin and helps calm irritation, while gently removing impurities. Ultracalming cleanser delicately fortifies the skin barrier without leaving an irritating residue, and easily rinses away or wipes off.
- Helps calm and cool redness and discomfort
- Easily rinses away or tissues off
- Delicately fortifies skin’s protective barrier
Best for dry skin
Intensive Moisture Cleanser: Light and creamy cleanser is perfect for those with dry or dehydrated skin. It cleanses while actively nourishing dry, depleted skin and helps to restore the skin's moisture balance, leaving it feeling soft and supple.
- Defends against dryness
- Delivers a smoother feel after cleansing
- Rinses away easily and leaves skin cleaner, softer and more luminous
Best for oily skin
Active Clay Cleanser: Deep-cleansing clay-based formula that’s ideal for those with oily or congested skin. Ingredients work together attract and remove excess oil from the skin, helping to protect its natural lipid barrier and leaving the skin feeling clean and refreshed.
- Balance by removing excess oil and impurities
- Purify pores for smooth, revitalized skin
- Protect skin’s microbiome and natural lipid barrier
Best for dull/uneven skin
Skin Resurfacing Cleanser: Dual-action exfoliating cleanser that helps retexturize aging skin with Lactic Acid. This two-in-one cleanser and exfoliant removes dulling surface debris and helps to accelerate skin cell turnover for improved texture.
- Convenient two-in-one cleanser and exfoliant
- Retexturizes, leaving skin super smooth
- Helps accelerate cell turnover, hydrate and brighten
Daily Glycolic Cleanser: Brightening and conditioning cleanser that renews dull skin and uneven skin tone and removes buildup from environmental factors. Glycolic Acid brightens dulling dead skin cells for radiant-healthy looking skin.
- Cleanses + removes build-up
- Brightens + evens skin tone
- Conditions + replenishes skin
Best for acne prone skin
Clearing Skin Wash: Foaming cleanser that helps clear skin and reduce visible signs of skin aging. Salicylic Acid and Lactic Acid stimulate natural exfoliation to help clear clogged follicles and smooth away dullness that contributes to visible skin aging.
- Clears away excess oil without stripping skin
- Helps prevent future breakouts
- Soothing botanicals help calm irritation
Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash: Breakout-fighting, foaming cleanser that clears away dead skin cells, dirt, and excess oils that clog pores and cause breakouts. Ideal for teen breakouts and safe for use as a breakout body wash on the neck, chest, or back.
- Clears dead skin cells and trapped oils to help wipe out existing and future breakouts
- Gently soothe and calm irritated skin
- Orange Peel Extract revives, energizes, and refreshes skin
In addition to choosing the right cleanser, it is important to cleanse your skin correctly. Follow the instructions on the skin care products; use a gentle, circular motion to massage the cleanser into your skin, avoiding the delicate eye area.
Be sure to rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. We offer a range of cleanser formulations to suit a variety of skin types and concerns.
By understanding your skin type and choosing the right cleanser, you can help keep your skin smooth and healthy. Still not sure which Dermalogica products will suit your skin?
Chat live with our skin therapists or try our facemapping technology for a personalized skin analysis.